Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Holy, Glorious, All-Praised and Pre-Eminent Apostles Peter and Paul

Troparion, 4th Tone: O foremost of the Apostles*and teachers of the world*intercede with the Master of all* that He grant peace to the world* and to our souls great mercy. 
Kontakion, 2nd Tone: Thou hast taken to Thyself, O Lord, * the firm and divine-voiced preachers, the chief Apostles,* for the enjoyment of Thy blessings and for repose;* for Thou didst accept their labours and death as above all sacrifice,* O Thou Who alone knowest the secrets of our hearts.


The following is from the 
LAW OF GOD - compiled by Archpriest Seraphim Slobodskoy, Nyack, New York, translated into English from Russian and published by Holy Trinity Monastery , Jordanville, NY 1996-available for purchase at Holy Trinity Church, Astoria, NY – see Matushka Irina

Chapter 60 - page 395 
A Short Summary of the Preaching and Lives of the Holy Apostles 


The holy foremost-of-the-Apostles, Peter (Simon) preached first in Judea and then in Antioch, in Bithynia, in Asia, in Cilicia, also throughout Italy and in Rome itself.  In Rome he was crucified head down, by order of the Emperor Nero.  The Apostle Peter and the Apostle Paul, as the apostles who labored more than all the others in preaching the Christian faith, are called theholy foremost-of-the-Apostles by the Holy Church.

The holy foremost-of-the-Apostles, Paul (Saul) preached in many countries beginning in Jerusalem and ending in Rome, the capital of the world.  In Rome he was beheaded by Emperor Nero.  

Matins Reading (Thursday Evening): 

The Gospel according to Saint John 21:15-25

King James Version (KJV 1611)
15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.
19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.
20 Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?
24 This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.
25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

The readings of the Epistle and Gospel for the Divine Liturgy: 

Corinthians II -11:21-12:9

King James Version (KJV 1611)
21 I speak as concerning reproach, as though we had been weak. Howbeit whereinsoever any is bold, (I speak foolishly,) I am bold also.
22 Are they Hebrews? so am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I.
23 Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
28 Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.
29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not?
30 If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities.
31 The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is blessed for evermore, knoweth that I lie not.
32 In Damascus the governor under Aretas the king kept the city of the damascenes with a garrison, desirous to apprehend me:
33 And through a window in a basket was I let down by the wall, and escaped his hands.
12 It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Saint Matthew 16:13-19

King James Version (KJV 1611)

13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

And for the other Apostles (from the Law of God): 

The holy Apostle Andrew the First-Called, preached within the boundaries of what later became Russia.  He erected a cross on a Kievan hill and predicted the future enlightenment of Russia by the Christian faith.  He preached on the shores of the Black Sea and in other countries.  In Byzantium he ordained, by the laying on of hands, the bishop Stachys, one of the seventy disciples.  In the city of Patras in Achea (Greece), pagans crucified him on a cross formed in the shape of the letter X, which therefore came to be known as the Cross of St. Andrew. 

The holy apostle James, the son of Zebedee, preached in Jerusalem and was the first of the apostles to suffer for Christ.  On orders from the Judean King Herod Agrippa, he was beheaded in Jerusalem.  

The holy Apostle and Evangelist John the Theologian, after torture in Rome, was sent in exile to the Isle of Patmos.  St. John lived longer than all the other apostles and died peacefully in Asia, in the city of Ephesus.  According to tradition, the apostle, by his own desire, was buried alive by his disciples.  When soon after burial, Christians came to open his grave, the body of St. John was not to be found.  

The holy Apostle Philip, preached in Asian countries with the Apostle Bartholomew and his sister Miriam.  In Phyrgia, a province of Asia Minor, in the city of Hierpolis, he met a martyr's death.  He was crucified head down.  

The holy Apostle Bartholomew (Nathaniel) at first preached together with the Apostle Philip in Syria and Asia, after which he went to India and translated the Gospel of Saint Matthew into the Indian language.  Later he preached in Armenia where he suffered  a martyr's death in the city of Albanopolis.  

The holy Apostle Thomas, called Didymus ("the twin"), preached in many Asiatic countries, going to India, where he met a martyr's end for Christ.  He was pierced with spears and then beheaded with a sword.  

The holy Apostle and Evangelist Matthew preached for a long time in Judea and then in all parts of Ethiopia (later Abyssinia, Nubia, Kordofan, Darfun; and now present-day  Ethiopia and the Sudan).  He was killed by the sword in one of the cities of ancient Ethiopia.  

The holy Apostle James, the son of Alphaeus, preached in Syria, Egypt and in other countries.  In one of these he was crucified on a cross, suffering a martyr's death for Christ.  

 The holy Apostle Judas, the brother of James, also called Thaddeus or Lebbaeus, preached in Judah, Galilee, Samaria and Idumea, in Arabia, Syria and Mesopotamia.  In Persia he was hung on a wooden cross and shot with arrows.  
The holy Apostle Simon the Zealot, a Canaanite, preached in Mauritania in Africa.  He was also in England, formerly called Brittania.  For preaching faith in Christ, he was crucified on a cross, according to one source, in Georgia, on the order of the Georgian King Aderhi, and according to another source, in Persia.  
The holy Apostle Matthias was chosen from the seventy, to take the place of the fallen Judas.  He preached in Judea and in outer Ethiopia.  Returning to Judea, he suffered for Christ, being first stoned and then beheaded.  
The holy Apostle and Evangelist Mark was from among the seventy apostles and labored with the Apostle Peter.  He also preached on the shores of the Adriatic sea.  He received a martyr's end in Alexandria by being dragged behind a chariot along the stones in the city streets.  
The holy Apostle and Evangelist Luke was among the seventy apostles and labored with the Apostle Paul.  He later preached in Egypt, and ended his spiritual feat with a martyr's death by hanging.  
The holy Apostle James the Righteous, one of the seventy, was the first bishop of Jerusalem, as established by the Lord Himself.  He is called the "Brother of the Lord."  According to tradition he was the son of Joseph the Betrothed, by his first marriage.  St. James was thrown from the roof of the Jerusalem Temple by the Jews, and then killed by a blow on the head.  This was about 60 A.D.
The holy Apostle James was the first to formulate the order of the Divine Liturgy which was the foundation for liturgies by St. Basil the Great and St. John Chrysostom which we celebrate now.  The Liturgy of St. James is now celebrated in Jerusalem and elsewhere on his feast day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guest comments MAYBE can be made by email.
joannahigginbotham@runbox.com

Anonymous comments will not be published. Daniel will not see unpublished comments. If you have a message for him, you need to contact him directly.
oregdan@hotmail.com