Monday, December 27, 2021

Winter Storm Roseburg, Oregon, December 24—27

12/27/2021: *Limited Re-sharing WITH FRIENDS: WEEK OF THE HOLY FOREFATHERS: AND-What I emailed out to another friend: My current Winter weather situation, etc. AND: Greetings With The Coming NATIVITY OF CHRIST, and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!


From: Dan Everiss <oregdan@hotmail.com> 

Time:  2021-12-27 11:13 GMT-06:00


“IN THEE O LORD HAVE I TRUSTED, LET ME NOT THEN BE PUT TO SHAME, IN THE AGE TO COME!”

GLORY TO GOD, OUR BENEFACTOR!

WITHOUT GOD,  WE CAN DO NOTHING!

Monday December 14/ 27: This morning: 

The electric power was off when I got up around 6 AM, -after a painful night and barely able to move from my painful bad back,-the power obviously having been off for some unknown period in the night, so I had to manuver around …painfully…and very slowly & very carefully, -& get some “Week-Long” wax vigil candles lit, so I could see what I was doing, etc….and had my flashlight in my hand. But just getting dressed & putting my boots on, was tricky. It was a task, with my bad back, etc. BUT, God blessed me and helped me. A little later, the power came back on….but for how long it will stay on?- I cannot guess, as outside there is a lot of snow…and more on the way.

Of course, it is beautiful to view…the story-book “Winter Wonderland”, with all of the surrounding giant Douglas Fir trees decked with lots of fluffy white (& HEAVY!) snow on their drooping boughs, -like living giant Christmas Trees -minus only the Christmas lights,- but which snow & ice on the roads makes driving and getting  around in it, very dangerous…and also it cuts off the power at times, always for unknown time frames, etc. 

Right now, no one get up my winding long drive, or then  go down it, safely.

BUT, as long as the power is still on, I can use this infernal computer! & the phone connected with it.

GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!

Reader Daniel The Snow-bound

=============================================

EARLIER EMAIL: 

Monday December 11/ 24

Here the very heavy snow started on the evening of 24th,  “First-Christmas” eve,  then all that night, then the next day, and last night again, and  of today, and now again this evening, it continues.  My power has gone off and on, briefly, many times, and I am prepared …as best I can, for the possibility of some prolonged power outage.  Each time my power flickers; goes off and then on, I must reset my computer/phone connection.

Of course, with a prolonged period of  no power, the food in my frig will go bad quickly too.

The winter of 3 years ago, my power was off for almost  a month.

One of my dearest kitties finally died  two days ago, but I need Chris my local helper, to bury her. I think I had her, Deary,  here for even close to 20 years or so. She was very special to me, so of course, I am sad, but she was declining for a long time. She outlived many other kitties, including her twin (both of them were born here on one of my icon-shop work tables) who died in my arms a long time ago….I could feel her SPIRIT leap out of her little body at her passing from this world.  Back then, Deary  visibly mourned her dead twin. She watched where I buried her twin’s body  and she stayed hovering over it, even in the cold and rain for a long time, day and night, until I forced her to go  inside.

I have filled about 30-plus  plastic gallons with my well water, in case of a power outage, -when I will then have no water coming from the electric pump in the well. I expect winter season power outages, but how long they will last, that I cannot for-tell. 

I need my local helper Chris to go to Roseburg and get me a new water pump house HEATING light and control modulator, for when the temps go below freezing, which can happen any day now….actually is already happening.  I asked him to do this a long time ago, but…..now the roads are dangerous to go anywhere.

AND, without electric power, I cannot use my electric hotplate, to cook anything, including to boil water to make my morning coffee.

However, the necessary components to renovate or remodel my existing defective walker, will be a bit expensive he tells me, and not easy to locate, so that project awaits more funding to accomplish it. 

And, I have a new supply of wooden good matches, including very long stemmed ones which Chris brought me recently,  so that I can light the glass/wax filled  Vigil candles -many already half burned down inside,  to use as emergency lights. My battery flashlights are handy, plus my radio is battery operated & electric also.

Thankfully, I do now have INSIDE HERE, a goodly supply of firewood.

At present, it is not safe for virtually anyone to drive up my snowed under, driveway, so if that situation continues or gets worse, then I will get no mail here…until the snow melts on my drive. But the State highway, 138 West, will be for sure, kept clear.

My lower back has recently developed, suddenly,  strong periodic piercing pains, -depending on how…and WHENEVER!... I move my body, -especially when I stand up or sit down, which has greatly slowed me down doing anything!, and I suspect it is caused, mainly, by this aggravating! Seated, yet  hard-to-manuver FRUSTRATING!  CRUDE Rollator-walker, which causes me to constantly & vigorously…TWIST my body, in order to get it to move either right or left, while I am sitting on it. I REALLY NEED A NEW BETTER MADE ONE!...And I do need to sit on it for much of the day, as I am unstable on my feet anymore.  I need Christopher- my many-talented helper,  to construct me a better one, or to reconstruct/remodel  this one, -which he has said that he can and will do,  so that it can turn and move more smoothly….if he will ever actually do this for me, though the necessary hard to get  parts to accomplish this, are expensive to buy, and I cannot afford this right now… But in fairness to him, he is busy trying to earn whatever money he can, just to pay his living expence bills. He is far from lazy, just very overburdened.

So that is my update local news for now.

As far as I know, this entire western portion   of this ENTIRE Pacific northwest region, is now having heavy ice and  snow, on the mountain tops  and down at all lower levels-a BIG SNOW., and also with some heavy ground fog in low places.

With such heavy/wet  snow fall, -especially weighing down the brittle fir boughs, that is what can cause the limbs.. and indeed whole trees to fall down, and then break electric wires, and also to harm buildings, etc. And of course, it makes driving very hazardous.

I hope you are in better shape! where you live.

Rd. Daniel

“GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD ALWAYS! AND AGAIN I SAY, GIVE THANKS!”

2 comments:

  1. I also once saw a kitty soul leave the kitty body. It was a very small kitten dying of roundworm infestation. My daughter and I had the kitty in the livingroom and I saw it was the end, so I called my daughter downstairs. She cupped the tiny little thing in her two hands, and we watched. There was nothing else we could do. We watched the kitten take its last breath. And we kept watching, and in about a half minute after the last breath, then I saw what I thought was a puff of smoke rise up from my like behind my daughter's hands. At first I thought she had a cigarette wedged between her fingers, behind her hands. But, no, there was no cigarette. It was that little kitten soul.

    All the kittens there at Fr. Gregory's died from the same thing - roundworms. Year after year, litter after litter. Roundworms infected the prey (mice) and also in the insects. We saw a roundworm come out corkscrew-style from a dying large black beetle, a dying katydid, and a dying garden spider.

    St. Seraphim Sarov says that animals have souls. Mortal souls. Not like human souls which are immortal. That "puff" of kitty soul was going back into non-existence...

    ReplyDelete

Guest comments MAYBE can be made by email.
joannahigginbotham@runbox.com

Anonymous comments will not be published. Daniel will not see unpublished comments. If you have a message for him, you need to contact him directly.
oregdan@hotmail.com